Saturday 22 October 2011

How Pritam got his ASS WHOOPED - 20 October 2011

Rather than fearing a "cowboy town", the Government should "consider how far the explosive popularity of the new media is partly a function of the People's Action Party (PAP) Government's politics of indirect control" over the mainstream media, said Workers' Party MP Pritam Singh.

Making his maiden speech in Parliament, Mr Singh, the MP for Aljunied GRC, made several proposals, including the creation of a Freedom of Information Act, which sparked vigorous rebuttals from PAP MPs, including a 13-minute exchange with Law Minister K Shanmugam.

Responding to his speech, MP Indranee Rajah (Tanjong Pagar GRC) asked Mr Singh if he thought there was indirect control of the mainstream media by the Government - to which Mr Singh said his speech was about suggestions for the Government to improve its communication.

This prompted Mr Shanmugam to press Mr Singh to answer Ms Indranee's question.

Mr Pritam Singh: I think the Law Minister would know better than I how to question a question in Parliament because he’s been around here longer than I have…Here you have a backbencher who has stood up and suggested to the Government, in all sincerity, not to score political points but just to suggest that there is scope for improvement and if they need any advice or any suggestions, anything of that sort, I’m sure I’ll be happy to provide them. But I’m not here to score a political point or to teach someone how a question ought to be answered. This is not my intention and if the member thinks that answer is so important, that it will have some effect on the real Singapore society, than I think he’s mistaken.

Mr K. Shanmugam: Sir, the point is a very simple one and it is this: Does the member believe mainstream media is controlled, purveys lies and dishonest opinions? Why is it important to know that? When members speak here, their personal views and their integrity to speak their personal views and speak from the heart, there are no games that need to be played. The question is not about other people’s perceptions only. It’s a very simple question capable of a simple answer. What do you believe in? Then we have a basis to move forward. Why is it important to say what you believe in? As an elected MP, you can come here and you express your views, you got to put your hand on your heart and say, this is what I believe in. That doesn’t require years of experience as a parliamentarian. That simply requires telling the truth.

Speaker Michael Palmer: Mr Singh, would you state your belief, otherwise we will move on.

Mr Singh: Can I make a clarification? Is the Minister suggesting I am lying.

Mr Shanmugam: I am simply saying that Mr Singh doesn’t want to answer the question.

Mr Singh: I, essentially, am saying, this Government can do better. Now, I’m saying that with my hand on my heart.

In short, even a preschooler in Aljunied can give a direct answer but Pritam simply got his ASS WHOOPED !!



No comments:

Post a Comment